Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Tommy Hilfiger, FUBU

Two of the brands you can't swing a stick around in a thrift store without hitting is Tommy Hilfiger and FUBU.  I'm not a big Hilfiger fan and FUBU may be for us, by us but I ain't us.

What does their omnipresence mean?  That they sold a lot of stuff?  That their brands don't have long term value?  That people get tired of them?

I think FUBU in particular is a style brand.  Urban tastes seem to change very often and their stuff may be getting dated.

I just posted about Ed Hardy jeans.  They may be in the same category some day.  Burberry sales may wane from time to time but the truth is they never completely go out of style.  People will be wearing Burberry clothing ten years from now.

I'm not knocking the other brands but you can learn a lot about quality, staying power and marketing by watching what does, and does not end up in thrift stores.

No comments:

Post a Comment