Saturday, October 23, 2010

Walker, Not the Texas Ranger

I was in Greenville SC today, helping my son recover from getting his knee 'scoped.  I thought about getting him a walker but he doesn't need it.  What struck me, however, was how cheap they are in thrift stores.  While I understand they should be in reasonable shape, 99 cents is pretty cheap.



They had great ones at Goodwill for $15 and at another store for $5.  I know you're all happy for me.

But I'm actually making a bigger point.  The cheapest one I've found online, just for research purposes, was about 55 bucks.  That one you could get reimbursed for by the government or an insurance company.  Try submitting a Goodwill bill for 15.  It won't happen.  Again, I realize you have to be sure the darn thing won't collapse on Grandma but if you look you'll find quality on the cheap.  You can do the same with crutches and wheelchairs (manual, of course).

We won't solve the healthcare problems in our country by going to a thrift store, I know.  However, there is something wrong there with a 99 cent walker that can't be reimbursed but a 55 dollar claim can be paid.

If I ever find something like a hair plug deal for 99cents I'll let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment